Health of mother, Fuji Kishi
March 16, 1931
    Mother has now been free from fever for about ten days, and the doctor explains that her urine tests show marked improvement each time he inspects.  Right at the time she had fever, the urine was full of pus cells but it has become very much less at each test later.  The doctor tells that her illness is not illness of the kidneys themselves, but of the outside near the place where the tubes lead out from the kidneys; therefore, she can take food that the usual patient suffering from kidney trouble could not take. We are giving her nourishing food for hopes of her regaining her strength. She is now out of all danger, and I wish you will rest assured.  Toki-chan has been remarkably good and careful, and even mother commends her highly for constant uncomplaining work.  She (mother) has been urged by the doctor to sit up in a chair placed close to the bed, and in that way become accustom to sitting up.  He thinks that it would speed her regaining her strength.

March 29, 1931
    Mother is practically well, that is, all except the strength she has to regain.  Her examination of urine shows normal, and other indications all point to good health.  She must not extend herself too quickly, and because we know it, we are keeping her from overdoing anything.  She has put on her dress for the first time on the 27th on March and came downstairs.  Of course, she was able to be up long ago, but we kept her in nightgown, which means she had to keep in bed longer than she would have it.  We are so happy she has improved.

April 1, 1931
    Mother is doing fine, and Dr. Pearce thinks she is normal.  She is again the adorable and admirable person she always was.

March 10, 1932
    Due to suspension of loading for a few days I visited home, and found that mother had gotten exposed the day before to extreme cold when she went shopping to Beaumont.  That was on March 5th.  On the 7th I wrote Nasuko-san that mother was practically well; however, on the 8th, after all signs of feverishness had gone, she suddenly got highly similar chills and she experience last year about this time.  Then her temperature went to 103.  Dr. Pearce gave her medicine and took urine tests.  The urine did not show any pus; therefore, he concluded that it might be malaria.  However, for another day the fever lingered, and so he asked for another urine test, though her symptoms now point to flu.  I had to leave early this morning for Houston, because the loading resumed, after periodic delays, and therefore, I did not get to take the urine samples to Dr. Wyne Pearce, but Saito-san will do so.  Fortunately, she seemed to have rested quite well for the first time, and since her first chill, her temperature went down to normal, whereas it had been running for several days at about 101 to 102.  I am thankful that the first urine test did not show bad indications.  There had been slight pain at a point lower than the same spot of last year, but only when pressed with fingers there.  Dr. Pearce is ready to attend at any change, but he believes at this time that it is a severe case of flu.  Toki-chan is taking good care of mother now, and since my mother is resting well at normal temperature, you are not to worry.  No lung trouble; only fever. When her chills were running so hard that she asked me to hold her body quite, and fever running at 103 on the first day, she still thinks of me.  I could hardly speak because I choked in the chest so much when she told me then, “Sekkaku Taro, omae-ga kaetta-noni okashi mo nannimo koshiraette yarenakute, kinodoku-do.”  (translation: “Taro, after you making an effort to come back to see me, I feel sorry that I couldn’t even make you any sweets.”)  I told her to rest easy and not bother about me, but that Toki-chan and I will try to take care to have her well.  Her general health has been good, and Dr. Pearce upon noticing her physical condition praised the way she picked up flesh on the body.  Therefore, I believe she will withstand this flu much better than if she had been run down.  The rest of the family is well and so is Furuta-san.

March 19, 1932
    Mother still has periodic fever, and so Dr. Wynn Pierce insisted on bringing her to the hospital so he could keep better observation and get diagnosis.  I have taken her to the Lutcher hospital yesterday afternoon.  Last night she had a light attack of chills.  This morning she was resting without much fever. Yesterday, immediately after I took mother in Doctor took a specimen of the urine, which he says show that the urine has now cleared up.  I suppose the next thing is to stop the cause of the chills and fever. Toki-chan stays with her from about 8:00 in the morning to about 9:00 at night, eating two meals at Dr. Mitchell’s home, but coming home for sleep and breakfast.  She has become a thoroughly good nurse.

March 20, 1932
    Mother only had one very light fever last night, and throughout today was normal temperature.  Doctor ordered an X-ray picture to be made of her kidney to see if there is anything keeping pus from coming down.  I have not seen him to find out how he thinks her condition is according to the picture.  The moving required in getting the picture has made her tired, but outside of that, she is feeling better today. This is the day she usually has fever according to cycle she has experienced.